About the author Privacy policies, terms, and conditions I have done some research about people whom I do not normally pay much attention to. They include Martha Hunt, Lindsay Ellingson, and Naomie Harris. What do they have in common? They all underwent spinal fusion surgeries as teenagers to correct their scoliosis (a lateral curvature of the spine). Who are these celebrities? Hunt was already a budding fashion model from the United States when she found out that she had scoliosis. Ellingson , also from the U.S., was scouted several years post-surgery, and like Hunt, she became a model/"angel" for Victoria's Secret. For Harris , a British actress, her illness and surgery were only mild interruptions to her studies and career and did not prevent her from getting into Cambridge University, enrolling in an acting school, and becoming an acclaimed actress. Another fashion model is Canadian model Emm Arruda . In fact, spinal fusion sur...
About the author Privacy policies, terms, and conditions A brave and lovely woman I have a dear cousin, C, who also grew up in Hong Kong. She suffers from scoliosis and underwent surgery to improve it when she was barely twelve at the Duchess of Kent Children's Hospital on Hong Kong Island. I took care of her for a while as her parents were busy working. Back in those days, patients had to wear casts or braces after surgeries to help protect their spines and aid their recoveries. I still recall the six months post-surgery during which she wore a heavy cast and could not even take a proper shower. She had her surgery during the summer vacation, went back to school when school began in September, and barely skipped classes (except when she had to take a leave of absence to obtain a new cast at the hospital, which happened thrice). In today's society, many people feel no shame despite the many reasons why they should do so. I am referring to ...
Comments
Post a Comment